Everyone starts with learning the basics when it comes to cooking. Usually, most people are not born to cook, but they acquire skills to do so. Everyone’s cooking skills can be honed, whether you are an old hand or just starting out. You do, however, need to understand some basic concepts to cook well. These tips will guide you through the process of improving your cooking skills.
1. If you are baking crusts for a pie or tart, you will probably need to bake them for a while longer than you thought. Pastry crust should be baked to a golden caramel color rather than a pale blond shade. The golden color indicates that the sugar in the pie crust has caramelized and this will give a sweet and crisp flavor.
2. When you are seasoning meats, try cooking a small piece first and testing it out, before making all of it. Foods like meatballs, hamburger and even meatloaf may require careful seasoning. Therefore, you should never cook the whole cut of meat after seasoning it. Cook a small piece of meat first. After trying the piece, you can cook the rest of the batch or adjust the seasonings that are needed.
3. It’s very important to have good, sharp knives for cooking. Knives that have been allowed to dull are dangerous and difficult to use. Cutting vegetables with dulled blades can be difficult, and can result in the knife slipping, and cutting you instead.
4. If you are cooking for someone you want to impress, cook something you already know how to make. That would be a bad time to experiment with the unknown, whether it is an untried recipe or ingredient. This will allow you to cook with less stress.
5. Adding cauliflower to your mashed potatoes is a great way to reduce the amount of fat and calories they contain. You should use equal portions of potatoes and cauliflower when making this delicious side. Since cauliflower is bland, it will mix right in with the potatoes along with the other ingredients. Cauliflower also matches the color and texture of the potatoes. This is a great way to add veggies and eliminate calories from a favorite dish.
6. Quickly cooking vegetables allows them to retain much of their nutritional value. With slower cook times, the overall value of the vegetables is decreased, mainly taste and nutrition. You have an added bonus, because these certain techniques make vegetables healthier in general. Learning to give them just a quick steam is the best way to cook them.
7. Burgers will often stick to a grill. Once they are stuck it can be very difficult to get them off of the grill and have them still maintain their shape. Try brushing the grill using vegetable oil prior to cooking so you can avoid sticking.
8. Cooking talent does not come naturally to many, but if you know how to read and follow directions with accuracy, being an amateur chef is within your grasp. It is easier than have ever thought possible to become a great chef. There are no limits to what you can do in the kitchen when you implement what you’ve just learned.